Bishop F. A. Henschke, Bishop of Wagga Wagga purchased four, 5 acre blocks in different areas of the city for the purpose of establishing parish churches and schools. In 1957, on the block on Lake Albert Road, an army hut made of corrugated iron was transferred from Kapooka Barracks and became the Mass Centre for that part of the Cathedral Parish, which was then under the administratorship of Monsignor Des Lane.
In 1960 a school building was erected on that site. The school was run by the Presentation Sisters and it housed three classrooms and a large room which became the centre for Mass. The army hut was turned into two classrooms. Further classrooms were added to the main building. When the Parish Centre was erected in 1978, the army hut was sold to a farmer who now uses it for storing hay. What was the original Mass Centre became the school library until 2008 until it was turned into two classrooms.
When the school became three streams, portable classrooms were moved onsite, but playing space became critical. A house in White Avenue was purchased to park teacher’s cars.
In 1990 it was decided that another primary school was needed.
This resulted in Mater Dei Primary School being built on property south of Lake Albert that was owned by the Diocese for many years. Four portable classrooms were transferred from Sacred Heart Primary School to the new site and bricked.
In 2008 the remaining portable classrooms were replaced by brick buildings. These are the Stage 3 buildings.
In 2009 as part of the Building the Education Revolution (BER) Sacred Heart Primary was again transformed, with the quadrangle and surrounding classrooms being put under one big roof to become the Hall, tuck shop and Early Stage 1, Stage 1 and Stage 2 classrooms.
In 2013 the verandah in Stage 3 was covered to create an open learning area.
In 2018 Sacred Heart returned to Straight classes.